Art Institute of Boston at Lesley University
MFA Visual Arts Blog
Saturday, August 18, 2012
Today, I finished hand building the tied up inflatable swan. It is 15"l x 12"d x 7"h and will be mounted from the wall on a puddle shaped sconce (still to be created).
swan & model, head
swan & model, tail
After the kiln was unloaded, I started it back up and found the hold setting not functioning. It continued to climb over 500 degrees in one hour and obviously had malfunctioned, which explains why my work blew up. The pile of pots had much thinner walls and survived. It remains to be re-fired; with luck, I'll be able to reconstruct the parts. Since the ramping feature on the kiln was primitive, I'm having a digital wall controller installed which I hope will have the capability to also run my mid sized kiln (which is currently manual). This may not be possible because it runs off four wires instead of three. I'll have to wait at least a week for the kiln to be back up and running. Sometime down the road, I'll have to have the lid repaired as well; rust flakes fall down and melt into the glaze. Buying a new kiln is out of the question right now.