Sunday, May 27, 2012

New text work

Here is the new (hand built) duck for the installation.  Letters were rubber stamped with under glaze. It took several firings because I didn't recognize I had used the wrong under glaze color until after it was glazed.  Then I had to re-fire twice to get the right yellow. 

7.5" x 5" x 6"

I added a text line from the Inferno on the large group of squashed pots.  These images show the process from trying out different fonts, sizes, and positioning.  I was unable to transfer the type by rubbing graphite off the back because of the slick glaze surface so it all had to be hand lettered by eye.  My experience in the graphic/publishing industry really helped here! I'll be sending them through for an over glaze (cone 019) firing today. The text running over the vessels helps pull the group together and adds another layer of meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment